Thursday, October 8, 2009

First "blog"!

Ok, so this is my first posting,... bear with me.

Is is called a "post", or a "blog"? Or is the whole thing as a collective referred to as the "blog"? Oh well. Let's not try to pretend like I know the terminology.

If you didn't already know, my name is Sabrina, and I am newly married (Today is our 2-month wedding anniversary, actually!). My husband and I have also moved back to the city of Moreno Valley, our hometown (much as it pains us to admit that), and are living with my parents.
Yep, that's right. We're living back at home, with my parents.

Let me explain- I'll give you as short of a version of our history as I can, so you can see how we ended up where we are.
My husband Jose currently works in Marketing for a Credit Union in Orange County. Yes, he has a good job, and yes, he is paid well. (Not as much as he should be, given that he's a Pepperdine MBA graduate and one of the sharpest business minds the world has ever seen, but that's a different story.)
Prior to our move, we lived in Anaheim. I was finishing my Bachelor's in Animal Science in Pomona, applying to Veterinary Schools and barely working, while Jose worked for the Credit Union. I happened to gain entry into my dream vet school. My dream school also happens to be in London, England.
After a visit to the UK, we realized how royally expensive it was going to be for us to live in London while I went to school there, and we then became royally freaked out by the whole prospect of making the move. It became clear that Jose would have an awful time trying to get a job, due to stricter UK immigration and VISA standards. And, how were we going to move Bubba (our beloved dog)? Someone would have to stay behind, at least until Christmas. Our wedding was set to be in the first week of August- school begins in September. (Keep in mind- I'm still planning the wedding at this point.) Would we be forced to separate less than a month after we get married, to opposite sides of the globe? And, with Jose's job situation in London unpredictable as it was, possibly without knowing when we'd be able to see each other again? (Keep in mind- I'm STILL planning the wedding at this point.)
Not wanting to keep me from my dream, my then-fiancee said the decision was up to me. To stay, or to go.
In the end, I asked the school if I could defer my enrollment for one year, essentially "saving my spot" for entry into next year's class. Miraculously (as I'm told they typically do not grant such requests), they agreed.
This now gives us 1 year exactly to
1) Save up as much money as possible to live off of once I start school next year in London, and 2) Gives Jose more time to try to look for a job in/around London, although, still being in the US with no VISA, he does not yet legally have the right to work in the UK yet. (We're still working on that second part.)
SO,... moving in with the 'rents is part of achieving the "save-as-much-money-as-possible" goal. By not paying "rent" per se (Read: the overpriced cost of living in the OC,) Jose estimates we should save about 20K alone. Which, in London, will last us,... about 5 minutes. But hey, every little bit helps.
Now, both sets of our parents live in Moreno Valley. We ended up "choosing" mine because,
1) They offered us a reasonable deal (1/2 of every payment, with the exception of the mortgage)
2) We were going to have to drop off Bubba there every day, anyway
and
3) They said yes.


I never, never ever thought I would write a blog about this, even after several people told me I should.
Then again, I told myself that Jose and I would never ever live with our parents once we got married.
Well, there goes that idea.
And, as my good friend Renee once put it, as I was explaining some of the adventures of my living situation, "This is too good,... You just can't make this stuff up!"

So... why the hell not?

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to try to work this next year too? I hope it all works out for you guys. If you have to spend a little time a part, it won't be the end of the world. GL!

    ReplyDelete